Central and Peripheral Nervous System
The human nervous system is comprised of:
- The Central Nervous System – brain and spinal cord
- The Peripheral Nervous System – sensory receptors and motor effectors
The human body is comprised of a rich profusion of sensory and motor nerves serving to innervate its tissues and organs. This profusion enables communication between the body and the brain.
Nerves are grouped into four categories:
These four classifications have been grouped into two main categories:
- The Central Nervous System
- The Peripheral Nervous System
Nervous System-Related Function
The central and peripheral nervous systems work closely together. They communicate messages from the brain to the body. The central nervous system communicates to the body via the peripheral nervous system. When a motor signal originates in the brain and travels down the spinal cord, it exits through a peripheral nerve taking it to its destination.
Depending on where the peripheral nerve is located along the spinal cord, it will innervate the closest part of the body.
- Signals from the brain are sent down through the spinal cord
- Autonomic nerves innervate organs and blood vessels
- Autonomic nervous system regulates unconscious body functions – beating of the heart, sweating, breathing . . .
The autonomic nervous system is divided into three categories:
- Sympathetic – fight or flight instinct
- Parasympathetic – rest and relaxation
- Enteric – innervates viscera – the gastrointestinal tract and the gall bladder
Multidisciplinary Therapeutic Treatment for Pain
The Multidisciplinary Team at Spine and Sports Medicine will design a treatment plan specifically tailored to alleviate nervous system-related pain. The painful and debilitating symptoms of nervous system-related pain can be relieved through:
At Spine and Sports Medicine, effective treatment of nervous system-related pain can be achieved through a Multidisciplinary Therapeutic Team Approach.
- Manual – hands on – Therapy
- Therapeutic Exercises
- High Tech Exercises
- High Touch Exercises
- Weight Resistance Exercises
- Postural Corrections
- Tailored Home Exercise Program
Gold Standard Pain Management
Other highly effective pain management treatment methods at Spine and Sports Medicine include:
- Medical Massage
Medical Insurance Coverage for Nervous System-Related Therapeutic Treatment
At Spine and Sports Medicine, there is no requirement for you to obtain an outside primary physician referral to have the cost of your nervous system-related treatment covered by your insurance plan. Most insurance plans cover the cost of treating the painful and debilitating symptoms stemming from a nervous system-related condition. Our insurance experts will help you to determine your coverage and assist in processing your claims.
Multidisciplinary Therapeutic Treatment in One Convenient Location
Discover effective nervous system pain relief provided by a multidisciplinary therapeutic practice in one convenient Midtown Manhattan location – at Madison Avenue and 40th Street.
Reach out to the multidisciplinary team of pain management experts at Spine and Sports Medicine by clicking below – or – call 212.986.3888.