Migraines Caused By Genetics
Yes, medical research has shown that migraines are caused by genetics.
Migraine pain is triggered by the release of dopamine and serotonin chemicals to the brain, causing inflammation and pain.
- There is a constriction of blood vessels, followed by a dilation of blood vessels in the brain
- After the blood vessels dilate, a rapid increase in blood pressure occurs inside the head
- The increased blood pressure results in a pounding headache
- Every time the heart beats, another shock wave is sent through the carotid arteries in the neck up to the brain
Migraines manifest in intensive, throbbing headaches causing nausea, loss of eyesight, and over-sensitivity to environmental odors, noise, and light. Migraine pain typically begins with visual-like auras like that of a flashing light or a dream-like state.
According the National Headache Foundation between 70 and 90 percent of those who experience migraines have family members suffering from migraines. Therefore, migraines have been proven to be caused by genetics.
- Of the estimated 37 million Americans who suffer from migraines, women are three times more likely to suffer from migraines than men
- Most migraine sufferers experience their first migraine before the age of 30
- Migraine attacks can occur up to several times per month in some people
Migraine attacks tend to occur less often and be less severe as people age.
Different Types of Migraines
- Common migraines make up 80 percent of this type of headache with no aura before onset
- Classic migraines are those headaches experiencing an aura before onset and are more severe than common migraines
- Status migraines are those attacks lasting over 72 hours
For those people prone to migraine headaches, some triggers have been found to include:
- Foods, such as chocolate, cheese, nuts, alcohol, and MSG
- Missing a regular meal
- Stress and tension – emotional or physical
- Birth control pill therapy – women have estrogen-withdrawal at the end of the pill cycle
- Smoking triggers migraines and interferes with treatment
Migraine Prevention and Care Provider
Medical massage promotes the flow of blood and lymph. The massage specialists at spine_and_sports_medicine will help to relieve your migraine by:
- Relieving tension
- Stimulating nerves
- Stretching and loosening muscles
Discover how spine_and_sports_medicine’s all-encompassing headache pain management treatment services can bring you relief from your migraines. In one convenient location, the pain management specialists at spine_and_sports_medicine will provide treatment and preventative care for your migraine headaches. Click below or call 212.986.3888.